Friday 22 June 2007

What's in a POUND?

Well it had to happen - the mighty have finally fallen!!!! For the first time I just put on 1 pound! What can I say?

Is this a disaster? Is it that the realities of life can sometimes happen to remind one how vulnerable we really are? This is the first time since I started this programme I have actually picked up weight. There could be a few reasons for this...... I went to a wedding and decided to 'let my hair down a little' as they say, or could it be the fact that for the first time I ate dinner before going to be weighed or a combination of the two! Whatever the reason it still remains I gained a pound. What's a pound in the scheme of things really? Reduced my weight by 72 pounds and gained 1?!

You can't move forward without sometimes taking a step backwards. I was disappointed but not devastated by it - why - well for a number of reasons...........
1 I am not perfect
2 In reality your weight will always fluctuate - time of month, social calendar, being ill etc.
3 I still managed to control myself and not 'fall off the rails'
4 I learnt a valuable lesson - messing up is just part of the process

What is most important is what I do next. Pick myself up and focus positively on managing better. Therefore this week I have decided the following:

1 I am eating less fruit - this is definitely a trigger food for me
2 Drinking more water - doing around 1.5 ltrs a day but need to be drinking min 2 ltrs
3 This week is the first of our 'trigger' weeks - pasta, rice, potato - small amounts
4 Start exercising again - been slack since being sick a few weeks ago

It's all about managing what is happening to us each step of the way. This weeks session was on personal space and boundaries. Interesting concept for me as I have had a lot on my plate lately with the refurb of our house starting shortly, family visiting and immanently immigrating to the UK, my new business just starting to take off and then all the normal everyday things..........

We are not always aware of how these types of experiences can influence our emotional states, boundaries and personal space. Our reaction to these types of challenges can be changing our food choices to fit the what is happening to us emotionally. Drinking more because we are a little stressed, celebrating new business deals and basically finding all kinds of excuses have another one! Eating certain types of food - protein, carbs etc. because of the instant gratification it gives us. I certainly am much more aware of these things now but it doesn't mean to say that habits I have developed over 37 years are going to go away just because I understand them more. I can now just control them better. Boundaries are good and should be there to protect us as well as to help us. Personal space is all about being in our comfort zone but learning to venture beyond them. Reducing my weight has helped me to open myself up to more exciting concepts, challenges and has broaden my personal space!

So lessons for this week.......

Stay focused
Understand the realities of life
Push your personal boundaries
Manage your expectations

I hope some of what I have mentioned makes sense as this has been a great learning week for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again Tamar - Started LL two weeks ago now, lost 131/2 pounds - thrilled to bits, and have to say a huge thank you for the inspiration you gave me and I still get from reading your blog. Keep at it, its great to read.